Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Me and My Shadow!




As if Mount Rainier isn't beautiful enough... now I learn of it's glorious shadow.  Honestly, it never occured to me that I might find a mountain's massive shadow in the sky (then again,  I don't watch the sunrise often).   Special conditions must be in place for this event to occur.   It must be at sunrise on a cloudy morning with the clouds at just the right height.  It must also be in the winter when the sun rises farther south, just so, that Mt. Rainier blocks the first morning rays of light.  If you live near a mountain,  I suggest looking up to see if someday you can catch sight of an enormous shadow.
The mountain is a massive stratovolcano about 54 miles from Seattle,  Washington, USA.  It reaches an elevation of 14,411 and is quite impressive as it's the only mountain in sight.  The volcano is considered to be one of the most dangerous in the world and is active, however, an imminent eruption is considered unlikely.





No comments:

Post a Comment